The History of Dorbena AG
The first record of the factory property in Mühleholz street goes back to 1860. The company Heinrich Weilenmann & Co applied for approval to set up a cotton weaving mill. Thus began the industrialisation of the country on the site of the current Dorbena AG. As far back as 1862, the factory in the Mühleholz was considerably extended and 1866 saw the company name change to “Weilenmann und Wachter, mech. Baumwollweberei (mechanical cotton weaving mill) in Vaduz-Mühleholz“.
In 1874, the company employs 50 people and operates 100 looms. For unknown reasons, the cotton weaving mill goes bankrupt and is auctioned off in 1877. It is sold to Gebrüder Rosenthal AG in 1884.
The First World War leads to growing shortages of raw materials. In 1916, Switzerland discontinues delivery of yarn to Liechtenstein, as the Allies do not regard Liechtenstein as neutral.
In 1916, Gebrüder Rosenthal AG sold the factory in the Mühleholz to “Adolf Schwab, Hammersteiner Weberei and Spinnerei AG“ in Vienna.
The factory is taken over in 1931 by “L.H. Lorch, Esslingen“ and turned into a pilot plant for bedding feather machines. In 1939, the gentlemen Hanauar & Schmidt buy the factory, which up to 1959 primarily sells bed feathers and down.
In 1959 the company is bought by Mr. Oesch, who has been living in Schaan since 1955 and is the first to add a sewing room in order to be able to offer customers finished duvets and pillows as well.
The name of the company is changed in 1963 from Hanauer & Schmidt to Dorbena AG. This is the birth of today’s Dorbena.
With a reconstruction plan, the existing premises are optimised in the 80s. The last conversion is completed at the end of 2006, a spacious training room for our customers. The work processes in production have also been optimised in recent years.
Since the end of 2004, Dorbena has been the licensed partner of Christian Fischbacher in St. Gallen. With this famous brand, the company has been able to export a range of bedding of the highest quality with the greatest success to other countries as well.
Following the death of Mr. Oesch in 1992, his daughter Mirjam Frei and his son, Josef Oesch, take over the company. In May 2008, they passed the enterprise on to the next generation, 50 % each to the Managing Director, Markus Freuler, and to Peter Frei, the son of Mirjam Frei-Oesch.